Kane County Recycles is putting out an urgent call for volunteers for the 2014 Kane County Recycling Extravaganza on Saturday, June 14. This is a community recycling event attended by 1,500 residents annually.
Kane County helps residents recycle electronics, books, clothes, shoes, hats, textiles, stuffed toys, bicycles, carpet, carpet padding, wheelchairs, crutches, latex paint and offer confidential document shredding.
“We need help unloading the cars as they arrive. That’s where you come in!” said Kane County Recycles Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. “We provide coffee, doughnuts, snacks and water!”
Linked here is an event poster and a volunteer package with the job description and other info. The event runs from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, June 14. Volunteers are asked to arrive at 7:30 a.m. Kids under 17 are welcome to volunteer but must have an adult accompanying them and have a signed waiver form.
Please contact Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841 or email@example.com to sign up, or if you have a group who would like to volunteer. The RSVP deadline is May 27.
Kane County Recycling Extravaganza FREE*
Residential Recycling and Document Shredding Event
When: Saturday, June 14th, 2014 / 8am – 12noon
Where: 540 S Randall Road, St. Charles, IL 60174
What Is Collected:
- Electronics and holiday light strings (no large household appliances “white goods” or Freon-containing appliances)
- Books (any age or condition, hard cover or paperback)
- Bikes, bike parts, helmets, bike baskets, sewing machines
- Mobility devices: wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, leg braces, scooters, etc.
- Fluorescent lamps (4-foot tubes) from residential sources only; please no CFLs (most hardware stores take them)
- Clothes, linens, curtains, paired shoes, hats, ties, belts, purses, backpacks, stuffed animals, plush toys. Ensure all items are clean, dry and free of odors. We will accept items that are stained or torn. Remove all hangers. Ensure all items are in sealed plastic bags.
- Carpet: Used residential carpet (and carpet tiles) and ‘Rebond’ carpet padding (the speckled kind) No rubber or felt padding please, as it is not recyclable.
- Confidential Document Shredding: for residential use (no businesses please).
- This service provides on-site shredding trucks, where you can watch your documents being shredded if you wish.
- This is for residential material only, not for businesses (see list below for business service), thank you.
- No quantity limit as long as it is residential.
- Staples, paperclips, spiral bindings, file folders without metal, and cellophane envelope windows are fine to leave in.
- Please REMOVE all binder clips, three-ring plastic binders and any larger metal pieces.
- Please do not bring periodicals, magazines, and other paper that does not contain confidential information.
- Those materials can go in your household recycling bin.
- Latex paint: Latex paint is non-toxic but difficult to dispose of because you have to dry it out before placing it in your landfill trash. However, it can be easily recycled into new products with no drying out necessary! Earth Paint Collection Systems will be collecting latex paint for recycling. No oil based product will be accepted. Latex Paint is the only item that has a recycling fee* per container, payable by the resident with cash or check.
What will NOT be collected:
- Oil paint or other Household Hazardous Waste will not be accepted at this event.
- Tires and motor oil will not be accepted at this event.
- No landfill garbage please. Anything that is not on the list above will not be accepted.